During this unit we will look at the following topics:
- How the growth of Canada during the 1870's and 1880's affected the people in the various regions
- How the Pacific Railway was built
- How the growth of Canada during the late 1800's affected the lives of Aboriginal peoples
- Why many people migrated to Canada in the late 19th Century
- What life was like for people who immigrated to Canada in the years 1870 to 1914
Unit 4 Plan
What is Culture?
Did Confederation Positively or Negatively Impact Canada and its Peoples?
Immigration to Canada in the late 19th Century
As we know from our studies people migrated to Canada for many reasons. We identified the negative things about their home country as being 'push' factors and the positive or attractive aspects of Canada as being 'pull' factors in migration. In your final assignment for this unit you are going to create your own advertising poster to encourage immigration to Canada. But before you start this assignment it is essential that you understand the elements of a good advertising poster .
Making Your Own Immigration Advertising Poster
As we discussed in class it will be necessary for you to annotate you poster once you have made it. This is a very important part of the assignment, if you produce a poor poster it will be almost impossible for you to annotate it.